After growing a membership business to over 3,127 members, you will hear all sorts of reasons for canceling. Some I knew were true and some sure did sound like a made-up story just so the member could cancel.
However, after hearing hundreds of reasons for people canceling their membership, I’ve found that there are usually three general reasons people cancel.
People Cancel Their Membership Because:1. They’re in trouble
The trouble could present itself in several ways, but is most often dealing with the member’s finances, marriage, job, or health. You’ve probably heard people say they need to cancel due to money or budget cuts, not to mention people losing a job, going through a divorce, or experiencing some sort of health crisis.
Psychologically, what they’re experiencing is the member-ship being an added source of stress and the only way to decrease that stress is to cancel the membership altogether.
2. Going through transition
Transitions can come in the form of:
- Stage of life (just graduated, married, new child, retired)
- New job
When someone is transitioning, they’re having to realign their priorities or their environment. In doing so, it may make it difficult for the membership to “fit” into this new arrangement of priorities.3. Under some sort of tension
This tension can be felt through:
- Spouse or boss no longer wants them to have the membership
- Job stress
- Increased responsibilities
Think about this, if your member is going to cancel their membership for any of these reasons, why wouldn’t you at least try to rescue them if you had the ability? Why not try to help your member through the trouble, transition, or tension.
If you really believe your membership can help people… If you really want to change lives…Then HOW DARE YOU let a member quit!
A couple of weeks ago, I shared ion an email how “Mary” who is:
- Going through a divorce.
- Needs to move out of her home in the next seven days.
- Find temporary housing until she can close on her new home in June.
- Wants to focus on her daughter and her new circumstances as a single mom.
- Plus some other emotions she’s going through navigating all these circumstances.
She wanted to quit her membership.
And yet, instead of quitting her membership, she was able to stay a member and THANKED ME for keeping her as a member.
Many of my clients responded wanting to know exactly what I did to keep her from canceling her membership.
So, I decided to do a free online training, and open it up to you!
Never Lose a Member Again: What to do when someone wants to quit your membership!
You can sign-up for free here:
This FREE Online Seminar Will Show You:
- How to turn a cancellation into a life-long member!
- The 3 simple reasons people quit their membership (and what you can do about it)
- How to leave an “open door” so that every cancellation will run back to your membership!
- And much, much more!
If you’re looking to increase your retention, better serve your members and have a more profitable membership, then
I look forward to helping you never lose a member again!
Share This Post