After growing a membership business to over 3,127 members, you will hear all sorts of reasons for canceling. Some I knew were true and some sure did sound like a made-up story just so the member could cancel.
However, after hearing hundreds of reasons for people canceling their membership, I’ve found that there are usually three general reasons people cancel.
People Cancel Their Membership Because:
- They’re in trouble
The trouble could present itself in several ways, but is most often dealing with the member’s finances, marriage, job, or health. You’ve probably heard people say they need to cancel due to money or budget cuts, not to mention people losing a job, going through a divorce, or experiencing some sort of health crisis.
Psychologically, what they’re experiencing is the member-ship being an added source of stress and the only way to decrease that stress is to cancel the membership altogether.
- Going through transition
Transitions can come in the form of:
- Stage of life (just graduated, married, new child, retired)
- New job
When someone is transitioning, they’re having to realign their priorities or their environment. In doing so, it may make it difficult for the membership to “fit” into this new arrangement of priorities.
- Under some sort of tension
This tension can be felt through:
- Spouse or boss no longer wants them to have the membership
- Job stress
- Increased responsibilities
If you really believe your membership can help people…
If you really want to change lives…
Then HOW DARE YOU let a member quit!
Is it possible that your membership could be the one thing that helps this person through the trouble, transition, or tension?
If not the one thing, could it be one of many things that helps?
If you’re ready to multiply your membership and money, here are four more ways we can work together!
1. Get a FREE copy of Accelerate: How to Get Your Next 10, 100, 500 or Even 1,000 Members… Yes, you can get a free copy of my brand-new book! In it, you discover more on how to promote your membership, get more members and increase retention. Kim wrote the foreword – you’ll discover more about her membership. Click here to get your free book now!
2. Are you ready to get more members in four days than you do all month? This proven email sequence will bring you members no matter the specifics of your business. How can I say that? Because I’ve implemented this very same series for hundreds of my private clients across all different markets and every time, it’s brought in new members. Click here to discover more and start getting more members!
3. Looking to Turn Your New Member into a Fully-Engaged Member… The “New Member Engagement Accelerator” may be exactly what you need. This newly revealed strategy will show you the step-by-step process for quickly getting every new member on-board with your membership. Click here to discover more and start engaging your new members!
4. Are you interested in growing your membership by 300% in the next 12 months? If you’re looking to get more members in a week than you did all month and you’re tired of “sending and hoping” people will sign up…just send me an email and put “MULTIPLY” in the subject line… tell me a little about your membership and what you’d like to work on together, and I’ll get you all the details!
Share This Post